Friday, March 16, 2012

Hospital bedrest and updates

So...hospital bedrest is much different than bedrest at home. Turns out, I should have enjoyed/appreciated bedrest at home a lot more. Ha!

I guess the hardest things about being in the hospital is that I am here alone much more than ever being at home. Scott has been in and out for the last two days, but with two other kiddos it's not like both of us can drop everything for an indefinite amount of time. Landon had his 4 year old check up today, so Scott left early this morning to go home and shower before taking Landon at 10 a.m. This is the first appointment that I've never gone to for either one of the kiddos; it was a little sad. But Scott has to work all weekend to make up for not working yesterday and today, so alone I'll be. Hopefully, I will have two little toe-heads popping in a time or two to brighten my days. :)

For right now, I am here until "at least Monday." I will be 34 weeks on Monday, which is good. If I can make it to 35 weeks that would be really good! The contractions haven't stopped, but they are being managed by medications. I was being given Terburtaline, but started having pretty serious side effects so they switched me to Procardia. They have had to increase my dosage because it was wearing off about 3 hours into the 8 hour dose; so now I take it every 4 hours. As someone who doesn't take meds very often, it's kinda hard to take drugs over and over - especially being pregnant. But as one of my nurses told me, "We are in the business of making babies healthy so everything we give you and do to you is for baby's best interest." Trusting, trusting, trusting!

I saw the perinatologist yesterday. It was a good appointment, and it was a little disheartening all in one. Porter looks good - measuring right at 4 lbs even, so he has kept his growth pattern consistent. The perinatologist said he if he were to make it to the same fetal age as Landon, he would be about the same size. But, it was disheartening to know that Porter is not only still in the frank breech position, but his tushy has "lodged into my pelvis and isn't going anywhere." Therefore, unless a huge miracle were to move this little fella out of his comfort zone, I will be having a c-section. I must say that there were tears shed because a c-section is just not what I had in mind. After two incredibly easy vaginal deliveries, I definitely didn't expect to have to change that. But, I am thankful that God has prepared me ahead of time. The more I talk about it with Scott, and the more I hear the doctors talk about it, the more the reality is sinking in. I am also researching a lot online and with friends who have had c-sections to prepare myself for what happens afterward. It's going to be tricky nursing at first, being in pain and on (more) drugs to manage pain, not being able to move easily or drive or go up/down stairs, etc...it's all going to be very different. But, I'm just thankful to prepare myself as much as possible.

It's so funny how the LESS I do the MORE tired I am. Of course, my body has been working hard in contracting multiple times an hour...but since I'm not allowed to even walk the halls, it's just hard to believe how tired I am. That being said...I think I'll try to catch a little shut-eye. Well, until the nurses come in and wake me up. ;)

Thank you, thank you for your prayers! They are appreciated and valued more than I can explain.

No comments: