Hi. So...I have had this other blog for a while that I haven't done much with in quite some time. (That's a whole other blog post that's coming in its own time.) But I am going to be switching things up a bit. I am going to be making The Castleberry Clan more of a "family" blog (as was intended from the get-go), and Our Hope is in Truth will be where more of my journaling and "processing" will be written. I'd be honored for you to follow both. But honestly, I'd love for you to follow me here the most. Here is where my heart will be vulnerable, and with His grace, changed forever.
7 (Seven)
Oh, how I deeply loved this book. Not because of Jen's writing style (her sarcasm irritates me at times). Not because it's trendy; trendy doesn't stick around long. And certainly not because it made me feel good.
I loved this book because with each chapter I felt moved and convicted and challenged. I felt like someone actually understood the battle that I face; perhaps you face it, too? This battle of wanting to be content, but feeling the desire to "get ahead." This battle of having enough, yet still wanting more.
The introduction gave a layout of the book and discussed the 7 areas that Jen was going to deeply reduce. The goal: to be changed and transformed to follow Jesus more authentically.
Authentic is synonymous with genuine, real. Not a self-righteous attitude about your Christian walk; not a fake front to impress people.
7 digs deep to fight against inauthenticity. To look at what mattered to Jesus while He walked this earth, and then to realize that what mattered to Him then matters to Him today. So why the heck aren't we as the body of Christ doing anything about it?
--
Here are 7 questions that I hope will spar some discussion. Any, and all, comments (as long as they are appropriate!!) are welcomed.
1. Do you agree that the American life can be excessive?
2. What is your take on the "American Dream"?
3. How is "simplifying your life" different than what Jen Hatmaker describes as a "mutiny against excess"?
4. If you could (or are going to) choose TWO of the 7 categories to experiment with, which ones would you (will you) choose and why?
5. What is your hope from living a deeply reduced life?
6. Why do you feel that American Christians have forgotten (turned away from?) so much of what matters to Jesus?
7. After reading Chapter 1, "Month One: Food," what is one thing that you will change right now in your life?
No comments:
Post a Comment