Listening. That's what we all want, but so often it's what is the hardest to give. Life moves by at such a fast pace, and listening - well, it requires us to stop. Because to truly listen to someone means that we must stop all else and focus on that person.
My children want me to listen the most. While I'm up to my ears in laundry and dirty hands from cleaning the toilets, no less. So often I put them off, "Wait just a minute." "Give me just a few minutes." "Hold on a sec."
And that "minute," that "sec," turns into 10 minutes, 60 minutes, or maybe I forget all together.
When I listen to my kiddos, I'm showing them that I value them. I am able to stop what I'm doing and give them what they need. And, honestly, it's not usually more than just a few seconds of my time. But why do I have such a hard time giving it to them? Couldn't I use a little break from the endless chores of motherhood?!?
So I plan to listen today. And tomorrow, and the next day. I will listen to my children until it becomes a habit. What better habit could I start today? If I listen to them now when they are little and they feel valued and, ahem, listened to...then later when they are older and I want them to listen to me and my advice, I think, just maybe, they will be well-equipped to listen. Because they've had a good example of how to do it.
STOP.
------------
A post as part of Lisa Jo's Five Minute Friday.
2 comments:
Dear Amber
Reading your words reminds me how our God tells us to be still and to know He is God. Even when we do stop and listen to others, we must pray for ears that truly hear; especially those unspoken words.
Much love XX
Mia
A thought provoking post! You're right listening does require you to stop and focus.
Its so hard to be free of distractions and just stop and focus, what with phones and laptops . We're so used to doing so many things at once it is just hard to concentrate one person in front of us that needs our attention.
Thanks for reminding me why it is so important to do this. How can we expect our kids to listen to us if we don't listen to them?
Post a Comment