Tuesday, July 23, 2013

First day of school 2013

OK, so keepin' it real here, folks. Our first day of school was r.o.u.g.h.

Not because it didn't go well, not because of bad attitudes. Nope, it was rough because the tiny one is SICK. Ugh! Y'all, I mean he had 7 (s-e-v-e-n) horrible diapers in 45 minutes. I'm talking puddles-on-the-floor-and-I'm-not-putting-him-in-another-outfit-horrible. I thought seriously about throwing in the towel 20 minutes after our school day started, but the kiddos were SO stinkin' excited about school that I couldn't miss out on it. I mean, really...how can you say no to kiddos who WANT to do school?!? In JULY!! So we pressed on - and by "we" I really mean I pressed on - with whiny baby on my hip (or on the changing table).

So, our year didn't start off the exact way the Mama wanted it to, but we still accomplished everything in the lesson plans. :) I thought about easing Birdie back into school since 3rd grade is much more intense than she's been used to, but with the encouragement from a couple of friends (thanks, Megan and Jill!) we just jumped all in.

OK, the boy is in Kindergarten but I see a 12 year old in this picture. Goodness me!

DSC_0004

And here's Birdie starting 3rd grade at 6 3/4 years. Gifted kids are a challenge, but I'm up for it. In 3rd grade at least. ;)

DSC_0092

My boys...with the baby showing NO signs of not feeling well.

DSC_0031

The #1 reason I homeschool our kiddos is because I just want to be with them. This picture has my heart wrapped around it.

DSC_0071

Kindergarten was full of letter recognition...

DSC_0001

Concentration...

DSC_0003

Coloring (Day and Night from the first day of Creation)...

DSC_0011

Math (sorting by color)...

DSC_0013

I ran around between kiddos keeping up with the naked baby between diaper changes. LOVE those little toes!! :)

DSC_0058

DSC_0070

DSC_0068

DSC_0033

And 3rd grade was full of handwriting...

DSC_0063

Math...

DSC_0073

Weekly Bible verse...

DSC_0044

And Spanish with Buddy-Ro.

DSC_0091

Birdie also had Spelling, Grammar, Geography, Science, Music, and Reading today...but I couldn't get a picture of everything. Did I mention the baby was sick?!?

All in all it was a good start to our new school year. Academically, at least! Hoping for a healthy year, ahem, with learning and lots of fun thrown int the mix. Rarely will our days be picture perfect. I know full well that there will be tears and bad days and I-can't-do-this-anymore moments. But I didn't choose to homeschool because it was the easy choice. In fact, I didn't choose it at all. God called me here, to my kiddos. If you would have told me three years ago that I'd be homeschooling my children, I would have laughed out loud. Homeschooling is for weirdos! Well, I either have to eat my words or admit that we are a weird family. :) Either way, I sure do love these faces!

DSC_0071

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Super encouraged by your post! I'm homeschooling Charlotte this year for Kindergarden and I'm so nervous and anxious about starting! I am working on trusting The Lord more and relying on Him to help us through the year:) I will definitely be praying for your school year!

Amber said...

Lindsey, YAY! for choosing to homeschool Charlotte this year. It won't be easy, but I can promise that it will be a truly rewarding experience. Just be ready for the Lord to teach YOU more than you will ever teach Charlotte. :) Best of luck! Would love to hear from you throughout the year and how things are going!!

Erica said...

Hey Amber,
Hope all is well. I'm getting ready to start Kindergarten with Gia, but I haven't quite decided on a curriculum yet. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Amber said...

Hey there, Erica! Email me at ourhopeisintruth@gmail.com. I can highly recommend what we are doing this year...or I can try to help you find something that you think Gia will thrive with! Chat soon! a