Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Satisfying the Hunger

Last week I got up at 6:15 to start my day. I woke up with such hunger to read the Word, and I went straight to my reading spot and began studying the book of James. Peanut was sleeping in my bed (after yet another stomach bug hit), so I had to be very quiet. I was reading my Bible by flashlight, constantly juggling between reading and writing down notes in my journal. At first I thought, "This is a lot of trouble." But then the Holy Spirit whispered to me, "You are blessed to be able to do this."

And just like that, I was brought to my knees. I was reminded that there are hundreds of thousands of people in China, India, Russia, all over the world who risk their lives just to read the Bible. People smuggle Bibles into underground meeting holes (literal holes dug into the ground) just to talk about Jesus, to read about Him, to worship Him.

My hunger was overwhelming on this particular morning, but I was reminded that my hunger should be insatiable every day. I live in a country with Freedom of Religion, yet I can go days without opening my Bible. I live with the knowledge that God loves me and calls me His child, yet I "forget" to spend time with Him on a daily basis.

I am ashamed because I know there are people who risk their very lives just to get a taste of Jesus; just to utter His name in secret among other fellow believers. And yet I take my own freedom for granted. I take for granted the freedom that I have to worship God and His son. I take for granted the freedom that I have found in Christ.

My heart is heavy for the moments that I have let slip away from me on days when I decided sleeping in was more needed than spending time in the Word. My heart is burdened for my brothers and sisters in Christ who put themselves in danger satisfying the hunger of their hearts to be close to our Heavenly Father. What if I lived every day truly believing that nothing else mattered other than drawing as close as possible to Christ? What if my hunger to know more about God and His love and His goodness was never satisfied? What if the only way to satisfy the hunger of my heart was to live like those who risk it all just to whisper His name...

Oh be still, my unfaithful heart. Be still in the presence of the Lord, and just allow Him to satisfy your hunger. Allow Him to be all you need. Oh, heart, you waiver daily on what is truly good; on what you truly need. But there is only One who can fill you up; only One who can satisfy you. Run after Him, my heart, as though your very life depends upon it. Because it does. Heart, you have safety in freedom to soak up His Word and His knowledge. Don't take that for granted! Be like those who risk it all simply to satisfy the hunger.

No comments: