Saturday, April 20, 2013

Out of the mouths of...adults

Maybe it shouldn't, but it still shocks me at the things adults - full-grown-up-people - will say to another person. I have heard about the careless things people have said to friends during their pregnancies (e.g. "You're sooo big, you look like you're carrying twins."), but right now I have found myself dealing with things people say about our Peanut.

I almost dread now when people ask me how old he is, because it's always after my answer that WhoKnowsWhat will come out of peoples' mouths.

He's one? Why is he so small?

What? He can't be one, he's too puny.

He's already one? Is something wrong with him?

Seriously! How rude, callous, inconsiderate, uncouth can people be. Yes, I know the Peanut is small...but his Daddy and I surely aren't giants ourselves. While I don't mind going into Peanut's story of being 2 months early and trying to play catch-up with explosive reflux...I usually don't have time when someone makes one of those dreadful comments. I'm usually walking out of the store. Or I'm running into the store to the bathroom with all three. Or I'm in the checkout line at the grocery trying to place all of my groceries on the belt while also juggling Peanut in the carrier while also making sure the bigger kiddos aren't knocking things off the candy stands. A semi-lengthy answer to a simple, "How old is he?" question just isn't easy most of the time. I know that Peanut is healthy, and he's quite a happy little fella. I wish others' comments didn't ruffle my feathers so, but it just does.

Instead of letting my frustration fester and cause my blood pressure to rise, I now feel empowered to really watch what I say. Proverbs 13:3 says, "Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything." I hope that I am able to hold my tongue or think twice before making what I think is just a "little comment." I don't want to be the cause of ruining someone's day simply because of something careless I say. Words have more impact than many, many things. I pray that my words will have an impact for the good of others. And I pray that I will smile and give grace to those whose words slip out a little more carelessly than they should.

 

No comments: