“Love can only be patient when it is first grateful for what is right now.”
I read these words tonight while reading in the archives of Ann Voskamp and they knocked me off of my feet.
I am in no denial - I fully admit that I am an impatient person. But the sad thing is, I have more patience when the stakes are low.
What I mean is, I have more patience with the woman in front of me at the grocery store who has forgotten one item and begs for me to wait while she runs back through 11 aisles to find it than I do for my 3 year old son when I am waiting for him to put on his shoes so we can head out the door.
I have more patience during bumper to bumper traffic at 5:30 p.m. on a Friday evening than I do for my 4 year old daughter who wants one more book and two more songs before I turn out the light.
Grateful: adj. an appreciative attitude for what one has received.
“Love can only be patient when it is first grateful for what is right now.”
If I actually took the time to savor the "right now" of every moment, would I really be such an impatient person? If I took the time to savor reading to my daughter, to be thankful that my little boy has two strong legs with two feet and shoes to cover them...would I be so impatient?
Would I snap so easily, "Stop doing that!" or "Just let Mommy do it!" if I stopped for just a second to be grateful? I have two of the most precious gifts that I will ever receive in my sights and by my sides at least 13 solid hours each day. But am I truly grateful for the "right now" of each moment?
1 Corinthians 13:4 "Love is patient..."
In God's Holy Word, the definition of love begins with Patient and I am humbled. It is my prayer that the Holy Spirit will nudge me to chose gratitude over impatience; to smile at the mess makers instead of scolding the mess. That I may encourage my children out of love and patience, and savor all of the fleeting moments that I can never get back.
1 comment:
Amber, thanks for the encouragement!
Post a Comment