Friday, March 11, 2011

The Hard Thanks

I started reading Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts, in late January or early February (I can't remember exactly when my friend Allison got the book to me). While it is not necessarily an "easy read," it is a beautiful one. Ann writes about giving thanks, and how in the giving of thanks we are brought straight to our Father.

One idea that she writes about throughout her book is the Hard Eucharisto, the Hard Thanks - giving thanks when things are NOT going our way; giving thanks when bad things come; giving thanks when there seems to be nothing to be thankful for.

Paul writes in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (emphasis added)

In my mom's group on Tuesday night, we talked about what it means to abide in Christ; to fully rest in Him. To me, abiding in Christ starts with 1 Thes. 5:16-18...being joyful always, praying continually; giving thanks in everything.

In Jesus Calling, the devotion for March 5 really stuck with me; in fact I have read it every morning since then. The first sentence of the devotion says, "Make friends with the problems in your life." Now there's a new, and slightly unconventional, thought! Make friends with our problems? Aren't we just supposed to fix them??? 

Sarah Young goes on to say, "The best way to befriend your problems is to thank Me for them." There's that idea again...to give the hard thanks. To thank God for allowing (even bringing) difficult times into our lives. But why? How?

When we give thanks in all circumstances, we are acknowledging God's sovereignty in our lives AND we are allowing Him to use whatever circumstances come and go in our lives for Him.

Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him." (emphasis added)

In all things God works, and He works for the good of those who love Him.

Be blessed as you hide that in your heart!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I LOVE reading your blog Amber! It is so refreshing and I get so many ideas from what you write. I would love to do a Moms group like you mentioned above. Did you do that through North Point, or is that something on your own. I need to look into that further, I really need something like that right now. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, Amber-the devotional that I read every single day is "Jesus Calling", too. That devotional has changed my life in so many ways and more importantly, it has changed my heart. I am so happy to hear others are enjoying this devotional, too. Every day it is exactly what I need to hear from Jesus.