I thought that the best way to share my experience in Kenya would be to share my journal entries from my time there. Sorry this first entry isn't all that exciting...just keep coming back. Pictures will be included!
Fri. 6/19 - 5:30 p.m. (GA); Sat. 6/20 - 1:30 a.m. (Ngaamba)
I can't believe it's been little more than a day since I left home.
So far:
Atl --> NYC = 4 hours delayed due to NY bad weather & plane over-heating on the tarmac.
NYC --> London = barely made flight on red-eye; we arrived in London and got to our flight for Ngaamba 5 minutes late - they would not let us board the plane. Therefore, a 9 hr layover in London equals TOUR!
We got train tickets to Pattington station and saw Big Ben, Parliament, West Minister Abby, Buckingham Palace, The London Eye, the National Museum, and more as we (literally) ran thru London. It was awesome to take everything in, however, London is not somewhere I would choose to vacation.
We made our flight to Ngaamba in perfect time.
London --> Niarobi = when we boarded the plane a man was screaming and fighting with police officers. Apparently, he was being deported and wanted to take one last stand. He was arrested and dragged off the plane. It was a bit unnerving to start the longest leg of our trip that way, but glad the situation was handled before take off!
We are now over the Mediterranean Sea, about to cover the continent of Africa. We have 5:05 to reach Niarobi. The flight (my seat especially) is quite uncomfortable. I was able to sleep the first 2 hours after take-off; now, I'm waiting for the movie Slumdog Millionnaire to begin. Once over, I hope to sleep the remainder of this flight so that I am emotionally and spiritually ready to enter Ngaamba.
I miss Scott and the kiddos tremendously. I got my tears out when we left NYC, but my heart justs longs to see them and hold them. Right now, that's my struggle b/c the trip has already seemed so long with all of the mishaps. 9 more days feels like forever. I pray for their safety and that Landon & Ella Beth will welcome me home with no hard feelings. Scott was brave and generous to let me go on this mission trip. I have such a wonderful husband!
No comments:
Post a Comment