Sunday, June 22, 2008

A little bit lonely

So, what's been on my heart lately is that I feel lonely.  I remember feeling this way, to a degree, after Ella Beth was born and I was learning the ropes of motherhood.  However, with Landon here, I feel that my loneliness is a bit more...severe, shall we say.

I think this is the aspect of being a mother that really took me by surprise.  I always thought that I could never be lonely with babies in the house to keep me company, but I was wrong.  Since it's such a challenge to get out of the house in a timely manner between feeding & sleeping schedules, I feel quite "trapped" at times.  A bit of cabin fever sinks in.  I am an on-the-go type of person, but I feel very limited in the things that I can do with two little ones.  I either have to completely plan out how/when I will feed them before/after/during an outing, or I have to work around a schedule in which I can drop them off for a short time, but make sure I am back in time to nurse Landon or make sure nap time isn't interrupted...neither scenario easy to accomplish. 

Maintaining friendships throughout this time is also proving to be a challenge.  Since most of my friends also have babies, working around their schedules (which are never the same as my own children's) is an even bigger struggle.  Most of the time we "talk" about getting together, but it never happens.  It seems almost that the only way to have on-going friendship is if your friends live next door - which isn't the case. 

It's just lonely in a house that seems to trap me.  Even getting out to enjoy time outdoors is a challenge.  Landon can't wear sunscreen, and it's way too hot to put him in his carrier or bouncy seat b/c he just sits in pools of sweat.  So, we usually stay inside, and again I'm stuck in the house without an outlet. 

I know that "this too shall pass" as all things do.  Sometimes it is just a little difficult to get through.
Surely I'm not the only one out there who feels this way.  Am I? 

Any suggestions or words of encouragement?  :)



5 comments:

megan said...

See, we're all so lonely we can't even comment on it. ;) i definitely think this is an "every Mom" feeling. i am coming out of an INCREDIBLY lonely time in my life, and am better, wiser, more loving on the other side. i pray that you will find that as well.
AMBER RESPONDS: Thanks for letting me in on your moment, too. I suppose there are ebbs and flows throughout every area of life. I pray that my outcome will be just as sweet.

Ally said...

It is tough. I have times of that and it comes and goes depending on what's happening in life. I make time to be with just my husband...an adult night out once a week or once every two weeks with no kids, just us and it helps. It helps to feel like more than the person wiping butts, noses, and cleaning some times.
AMBER RESPONDS: You know exactly what I am talking about! Sometimes I just want to be more. I've felt so guilty about not being completely satisfied being "just a mom," but I'm coming to terms with that and letting it go.

Ashley said...

I'm hoping that your exciting news you shared with me today will also ease this pain. But even so I sometimes feel the monotony of the schedule (as much as I am also thankful for it) seems a bit trying and sorta adds to the hum-dum of the loneliness feelings. But yes it is something that I think is VERY common. So in a sense you aren't alone at all!

Angie said...

I hear you girl! Exciting news? What is that? :)

Rachael Walkup said...

Well, I don't have children but I remember feeling kinda depressed and lonely after my wedding two years ago. All the family is in town, everyone is so excited, you go on the honeymoon, and then when you come back it's like ok now it's time for life. It's easier said then done, but God always comforts me with Isaiah 40:31. Thanks for being so open with your feelings on here. It's so good to know others go through the same troubles you do. We can help share the burden and sadness! But, is there exciting news?? Please share!!
-Rachael