Thursday, May 3, 2007

Long Night

Someone please tell me that it's normal for babies to go through good and bad sleeping stages.  PLEASE!  Ella Beth slept maybe 4 hours last night...maybe.  She went to bed fine.  Woke up 30 minutes later.  Went back to bed fine.  Woke up at 11:34, and she didn't go back to sleep until almost 3 AM.  She got up this morning at 6:30.  Needless to say, Scott and I are exhausted; we are also a little concerned that something's wrong.  She didn't have a fever, but she cried a lot for a long, long time.  Is it a stage she's going through?  She'll be 9 months old on Monday...her gums aren't swollen, but could she be teething again?  I had to nurse her throughout the night (on Scott's "off shift"), but is that bad?  I did try long and hard walking her around, singing to her, rocking her; finally I tried nursing her, and it worked.  Is it bad that I gave in, or is it okay since that's what she needed?  Oh how I wish she could just tell me what's wrong.  She's asleep right now.  Thank goodness.  I'm tired, but I couldn't nap if I tried. 



Well, one bright spot in my day.  I tried on a "pre-prego" bathing suit today - bravely - and it fit.  WOW, that was a surprise.  However, there are some areas that could use some improvement before bathing suit season arrives.  I'll save that "improvement" for my spare time.  HA!  The funny thing is though, I can't decide if I want to be a bikini-girl any longer.  Does it seem inappropriate now that I'm a mommy?  Should I embrace the tank-ini? 



Okay, off to do laundry - the never-ending chore.  How you working moms get everything done is beyond me.  My applause goes out to you!



2 comments:

Ally said...

We go through rough nights with Peyton, too. He's slept pretty good the last two nights (only whining a little, but a pacifier cured that). He actually slept from 730p-6a/7a. It felt so good to get a full night of sleep. Before that, he was up about 3-4 times a night. I'd break down and feed him at one point too.
It could be teething again. If he's fussy and I cannot find the reason, I always try Tylenol and the Orajel just in case. I have a friend who has 5 kids and says that she believes kids go through "growing pains" and they just get sore muscles and joints and the Tylenol helps. I don't know if it's true, but it's calmed Peyton down a time or two.
Good Luck to you, I hope it gets better. I know how a lack of sleep can be.

Megan said...

Yes, it is completely normal! We had these phases with Ansley, and actually still have them over 3 1/2 years later. :| My best advice is, of course assuming that she is not sick or hurting, not to obsess about the why's or what you're doing "wrong", should be doing differently, etc. I could drive myself crazy back then trying to figure out why she was waking up. Did she not get enough to eat? Was the bedtime routine not consistent? and on and on....I even worried that I shouldn't be nursing her as well, but that's what always worked to calm her down. And it all turned out fine, with the exception of I spent too much time worrying about stuff that wasn't necessary! Maybe that's one of those new mom things that you just have to go through, I don't know, but that's the best advice I can give!
Hope you have sleep-filled nights coming your way!