Anyone who knows me well, knows that my pet peeve is bad grammar. Well, tonight is no exception. It surprises me that even well educated people, news anchors for example, have poor grammar. Here is my lesson for the few who will read. Do you think I could make a copy of my 6th grade Grammar textbook and send it to them???
The Personal Pronoun - the most common grammatical error. Here is your lesson: If you have a sentence with you and another person, take the other person out of the sentence to determine if you should say "me" or "I." For example, "My favorite picture of Scott and I is on our honeymoon." Okay, take Scott out of the sentence. "My favorite picture of 'I' is on our honeymoon." NO! NO! NO! You should say "me." Therefore, the sentence should read, "My favorite picture of Scott and me is from our honeymoon.") I hear people make this mistake every day. In fact, I just heard one of the Braves' announcers say: "You can watch my partner and I make fools of ourselves." If you take "partner" out, would you say, "You can watch 'I' make..." or "You can watch 'me' make..."? Correct! You should say, "You can watch my partner and me make fools of ourselves." Now, if the sentence had read, "My partner and I will make fools of ourselves," that would be correct. If you took "partner" out the sentence would be correct with "I" as the personal pronoun. It's all in how you phrase it!
Yes, I'm a nerd...I'm okay with it. :)
On a different note, my BFF :), Meredith, came to visit today with her new addition. Jackson is a handsome little fella, and Ella Beth could barely keep her hands off of him! They talked in the car together - both excited to talk with someone who understood their "language" I'm sure! Mere and I had a nice time at the outlets, and a great time catching up from the last month. It's so nice to share being a mommy with such a special friend!
2 comments:
I so enjoyed spending time with you and Ella Beth! I can't wait to see how the little ones respond to each other as they get older. I always tell him that we are about to see his future wife! You are so special and I love you!
I so enjoyed spending time with you and Ella Beth! I can't wait to see how the little ones respond to each other as they get older. I always tell him that we are about to see his future wife! You are so special and I love you!
Post a Comment