Sunday, October 12, 2014

Erythema Multiforme

When life gives you rashes...freak out. Right? Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Well, when my 6 year old son wakes up one morning with his back looking like this, that's exactly what I did.

Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 6.32.38 PM

 

This is what Erythema Multiforma looks like. It is HORRIBLE. AWFUL. TERRIBLE. And it makes for a no-good-very-bad-day. Or week and counting if you're Buddy-Ro. It started the craziest way. On Tuesday we were at a friend's house and the kiddos were playing outside. All of a sudden Buddy-Ro started limping. I noticed and asked him about it, but he just shook it off. We left just shortly after and by the time we drove 20 minutes to my MIL's house, BOTH of his feet had swollen to twice their normal size, his skin was red, he could not stand on them, and he would scream if anyone or anything even touched his skin. Oh my word, you have no idea. My MIL and I didn't know what to think b/c I knew he hadn't fallen or twisted his ankles, but we had no clue what was wrong. I took him home, and by time for bed he had a rash. Hmmmm...they didn't seem to go together. Gave him Benadryl and sent him to bed.

And then the next morning he woke up looking like the picture above. As bad as the picture looks, I'm telling you it still doesn't do it justice b/c you can't see how the rash was raised and lumpy. So after calling the pediatrician and posting a pic on Instagram asking for prayers, my friend Carrie calls telling me that her son had Erythema Multiforme just a month ago. As soon as I hung up with her, my pediatrician called and said that he had Erythema Multiforme. At least we had a consistent diagnosis. ;)

The long and short of it is that it's a severe virus. In some people it simply causes cold symptoms. But for many children with severe allergies (Buddy-Ro has dairy, gluten, and very bad seasonal allergies) that Erythema Multiforme causes the immune system to attack the skin cells and joints. Of course, it would be something crazy and weird and horrible. {I was never, NEVER sick as a child. I had perfect attendance K-12 grade (although I did go to school my senior year with chicken pox). But my dear MIL told me that when her kids got sick it was always something strange, never anything normal. Ah, so that's where my kids get these crazy illnesses from -- their DADDY.}

Erythema Multiforme is supposed to last 2-6 weeks (according to the official description). Really hoping for the least amount of time possible. It has been a crazy ride. Every other day it has been a different joint that is swollen: 1) ankles, 2) hands, 3) knees. Maybe he is through that side effect, and can just get finished with all of the others. Soon!

 

 

No comments: