Sunday, July 19, 2009

Kenya, day 6 & 7

(I am shortening my last Kenya post to combine my last two days there.)
===

Thursday, 6/24 8:48 p.m. (Kenya); 1:48 p.m. (GA)

I am in bed sick. 3 of us have had the tummy sickness, and I am thankful to be lying down right now b/c my stomach is churning. Ugh.

Today was our last day in Ngaamba. It was beautiful, and it was hard. I spent time teaching 4th and 5th graders how to make a bracelet that represents Christianity. We taught each other fun songs and dances - it was a blast! I introduced myself to the class as Kanini, and the students loved it! I have truly embraced my Ngaamba name!

DSC_0477

After teaching, we went to visit two families' plots. Poverty was severe - 8 people living/sleeping/cooking in an 8'x12' mud hut. I did meet a baby boy who was the same age as Landon; he melted my heart as he laughed while I played peek-a-boo.

DSC_0496

Afterwards, Ngaamba South gave us a goodbye celebration. Their philosophy is to let us go so that we can come back. They desperately want us to return -- I'm pretty sure we all want to. We sang praise songs to each other. Our group sang "Amazing Grace," and I couldn't stop thinking about how I surely need God's grace much more than the people of Ngaamba. Yes, they have tempations and sin - but I must be worse off in that department. Their faith is so strong -- unwavering --yet their surroundings are unbearable to all of us. I feel that God must surely be proud of His precious people in Ngaamba.

As we left the village, the children were running to the bus to send us off. The kids I taught were calling out "Kanini!" "Kanini!" It was the highlight of my day. I was sad to go; sad to leave a precious little girl named Wiuwa, but my heart as been changed forever. A part of my heart will always live in Africa.

I leave yearning to already be back.

I have mixed emotions as I leave; I want to be home with my precious family (who, by the way, I love and appreciate even more), but I know exactly why God called me to Ngaamba, Kenya. I needed to see faith in action; total, unwavering faith in a God who does not always reveal Himself to us in the ways we want. I went to Africa to "help" those in need, but they ended up helping this American girl, Kanini, much more.

I need Africa more than Africa needs me.

Thank you, God.

DSC_0482

Wiuwa posing for a picture with me. I love this sweet girl.



1 comment:

Ashley said...

Amber, It has been such a pleasure to read and look at some pictures of your journey. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!! What an amazing trip!