Friday, July 10, 2009

Kenya, day 4

Sunday, 6/21 - 11:34 p.m. (GA); Monday, 6/22 - 6:34 a.m. (Ngaamba)

It's early, and I'm feeling tired after a night of waking up a lot. However, once again praising God for a hot shower! I believe He understands what a huge blessing having hot showers are to the team, and we are all in appreciation. We are still praying for our luggage to arrive -- day 5 without it. It was a lot harder to get dressed this morning than I thought it would be because I once again had only two options: Outfit 1 - the t-shirt and jeans I traveled in; Outfit 2 - the t-shirt and long skirt I've worn to the village. Both are a little (ha!) dirty and a tad stinky; do wish I had extra socks and under garments! (That would surely get an "Amen!" from the team as we all would like those!) I chose my t-shirt and jeans again b/c today is a work-day in the village. I hope to help build school walls today -- I came here to work and help out as much as I can, so I'm ready to get at it!

Here are our feet after working yesterday...now do you see why we didn't want to put on the same socks?
(Nicole's feet are on top, mine are on bottom)
DSC_0435

DSC_0438

I once again miss Scott much more than I was prepared for. I love that man! A few members of the team have commented that "it's awesome [I] miss Scott more than I miss my kids." But, it's very true. While I miss Ella Beth and Landon, I yearn for Scott. Today would be such a fun day working along side him. Yesterday was Father's Day, and I got to chat with him for 8 minutes! It was great for my spirit. I'm still replaying that call in my head as I get ready for the day. Here I go---

--

Lady&baby  

We went to Ngaamba and worked! We carried bricks that the women had made, a quarter-mile to the site where the school walls were being built. They were heavy, weighing about 15 lbs each. At first, I only carried one at a time. I talked with some of the women from the village as we walked and they asked me if this was "hard work"? I told them it wasn't too bad. I asked them the same, and here is their response: "It is hard, but we have inspiration. Our children have the opportunity to better themselves through education, and that inspires us to do this work." Wow! From that moment on, I carried 2 bricks at a time!

While we were working, the women were so concerned about "Kanini" being tired and working too hard. They would stop my teammates and talk to them about me. When they found out that I was a mother, they were shocked and tried to convince me that I didn't need to work so hard. It really got a bit comical as the morning went on! I loved their compassion, but I loved working beside them even more. We made great bonds today.

DSC_0133

After working, we had lunch; then we played! The children had been waiting anxiously in their school classrooms all morning because they knew that they were being dismissed early to play outside with us. For lunch, the children have porridge - which is simply made out of corn flour and water. It amazed me that the children had the energy to play and exert so much energy. I'm learning that God provides enough for them; He doesn't promise us for extra, but He promises us enough.) We separated into small groups and formed teams for volleyball, soccer (the most popular), kickball, beach ball toss, tug-of-war, and singing. I tore my fingernail off playing volleyball - lots of blood and pain. Praying for protection from infection because we had to "re-apply" my nail and wrap it up. It has since reattached by the blood drying. (Getting queasy thinking about this again!) Needless to say, I didn't play volleyball any more. I walked around taking pictures of our team interacting with the children. Everyone had a blast! I also got to spend time with some preschool children who were watching from the sidelines. It is here that I first met Wiuwa, the precious little girl who still has part of my heart with her in Ngaamba. After I took pictures, I sat with Naomi, Susan, and Damatus. They braided my hair - loved that!

DSC_0291

 As I talked with the women, they were surprised that I found them, their children, and Africa so beautiful. They long to leave because they think life would be better. Some things would be better, but their faith could never be as strong. David, our bus driver, asked me to always remember Ngaamba and the people there. He asked me to pray for them, rain for their crops, and for their survival - for them to live. It was a moment that tugged at my heart. They know that their lives are in jeopardy, and they have seen more than their fair share of tragedy. I will pray for them, my rafikis (friends); Lord, bless them and keep them under your grace.

--
My two take-aways from today:
1) It's not about what others don't have; it's about the responsibility to do what I should with what I DO have.
2) Their Bibles aren't that old (maybe 3 years), yet they are worn out from use. Why doesn't my Bible look like that?



No comments: