After being in severe pain all night, getting sick about 20 times, and sleeping a total of maybe and hour...I told Scott that I needed to go to the hospital. We arrived at the ER about 8:20 this morning. I have gone through lots of tests, a CT scan, and things I can't really remember (I've been very doped up). Turns out, I have the same infection that Scott had last fall. Scott kinda thought that I was just being a weenie b/c we thought I had a stomach bug. Now, I have his full sympathy! He hasn't forgotten how horrible and how painful this is. It is honestly pain beyond explanation. Just trust me when I tell you that it is bad. V-E-R-Y bad.
Right now, I am receiving an antibiotic via IV. I've had lots of things go through my IV today. Because of that, and because I will be taking 4 more medications for the next week, I have to "pump and dump" my breast milk. After these last two days, my emergency breast milk supply is gone. That means we need MAJOR PRAYERS because not only does Landon have to take a bottle, but he has to take formula in the bottle. For a week. Scott will be feeding him at night, but he is still going to have to take bottles of formula from me during the day. Oh boy. He has refused all formula, and all but refuses the bottle from my mother-in-law. It's going to be a struggle, but I trust that once he is hungry enough (hello! he can't go a week w/o eating!) he will take bottles of formula. Also, because of his GERD, I have to get special formula with no lactose...and I hear it smells and tastes awful. I will be so appreciative of your prayers!
This is also going to be a whole new world for me. I've never fed my babies by anything other than myself, so now I will have to have bottles prepared each day. Is the best way for me to do this is measure out formula in each bottle first thing in the morning and then add water when it's time for him to eat? Can I warm the bottles in the microwave? HELP!
OK, I'm closing this so I can get some more rest. Thank you for your prayers. I'll update again when I start feeling better and have more energy. I haven't been able to walk anywhere by myself today b/c I've been so weak. I haven't eaten in 48 hours, and now the doctor says I can only have liquids for at least two more days. After that, I can "slowly incorporate solids back in my diet." Do milkshakes count as a liquid? Since I have to pump and dump anyway, Landon wouldn't be affected by me consuming dairy. I'll be sure to ask the doc before I leave. Yawn. Off to rest.
8 comments:
Wow- I'm so sorry! How awful. I will be praying you feel better very soon. As far as the bottle thing- I don't know either since I've only ever nursed, but I will for sure be praying for that situation and that Landon will accept a bottle and formula soon. I can only imagine how stressful that must be on the both of you. He may not like it, but surely he will get hungry enough and will eat! Hoping you get lots of rest and can get some energy back soon. Hang in there.
I am so sorry you're having such a rough time. I am praying for you.
I had Peyton on the Soy because he couldn't stand the other stuff, but Landon may get constipated, or at least Peyton did. I heated the water in the microwave then added the formula. Just make sure you have BPA free bottles, otherwise heating them will release chemicals into the formula. I added the formula to the water and shook it really good.
I never used the powder formula, only the pre-mixed formula. I used Similac and bought it in bulk from BJ's. It might be worth it to buy a box at BJ's for the week. It's so much easier then the powder ordeal. Yes microwave is fine, however a bottle warmer is best. I have one if you would like to borrow it. Otherwise, the other easy thing is to use a crock-pot to warm the bottle. For sure it's more of a natural warming method (it's what weekday uses). Have to emailed Russell yet? Will be praying for baby Landon.
You are in my prayers for a speedy recovery and for Landon's transition this week.
oh, no! praying for a speedy recovery! also, i just want to mention (and this may or may not be the case for you) when Ansley was 10 months old, i had to have a colonoscopy and my dr told me i absolutely could not breastfeed for a week. i called the northside lactation and they gave me a number where they can tell you exactly what is safe and what isn't. i wrote down the medications they would be giving me, told the lady, and she told me it was perfectly fine to nurse, so i didn't have to skip AT ALL. anyway, i just wanted to pass that on, because i would not have known and i would have followed what my dr said if not for them. it may be something you want to look into, could be the same for you!
Wow, I am so sorry! Hope you feel better soon!
Gosh, I'm so sorry! Hopefully you will be feeling well soon. As far as bottles go, I always filled my bottles in advance and then added the formula at feeding time. I never heated them; my babies always took their bottles at room temperature. Also, please do not make an effort to come to Ava's party on Saturday. Just get some rest and focus on taking care of yourself. I'll check on you soon!
Jen
Along the lines of what Megan said, I was told when breastfeeding my oldest that I would have to "pump and dump" for 3 weeks because of an antibiotic I was on for an infection. I was so despondent that I said I was not even going to take the medicine. My mom convinced me to call pediatrician who checked out the medicine and told me it was fine for me to take, just to watch Bria for signs of allergic reaction. ER and urgent care docs are (understandably) overly-cautious with breastfeeding moms. It's definitely worth a second opinion!
I'll be praying for you!
Post a Comment