Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Y'all. And me vs. I

Do you have a "thing?" You know...something that drives you bonkers?!?

Grammar is my "thing." I'm a total nerd; I admit it fully. And there are two things that just get under my skin. Maybe it's because I used to be an English teacher, maybe it's because I continue to teach my kiddos at home, or maybe because the decline in the English language is just atrocious. Whatever it is, there are two grammatical things that drive me bonkers.

1) Y'all - it's a contraction for the two words "you" and "all," correct? So...it is spelled y'all (that's Y apostrophe A L L). The apostrophe takes the place of the "ou" in you. So, y'all is spelled y'all...not ya'll.

2) Me vs. I - Oh, goodness. This one! So many people think it's 'proper' to say "I" when they are talking about someone else and themselves. However, it is improperly used all of the time! Here is a simple tip to pull out if you wonder whether you should use "me" or "I" in a sentence: Take the other person out of the sentence, and you'll have your answer.

For example: 1) Here's a picture of my husband and I on vacation. -or- 2) Here's a picture of my husband and me on vacation.

Most people say, "Here's a picture of my husband and I." But, take "my husband" out of the sentence. Would you say, "Here's a picture of I on vacation"? NO!!! You'd say, "Here's a picture of me on vacation." So, the correct sentence above would be: "Here's a picture of my husband and me on vacation." Easy peasy!

I know, I'm a nut! And this is just my "thing." Too bad I didn't invent "Grammar Girl" and bring in the moolah! We all have our pet peeves, and we're all driven crazy by something. If your "thing" is, for example, having an ultra-clean vehicle - ahem, just don't bum me for a ride for the next 18 years!

No comments: