Friday, March 13, 2009

Something got me thinking

Scott made a statement the other day that has really gotten me thinking.

"I brag so much about our church and how awesome it is. I really do enjoy attending and being a part of it, but I felt like such an idiot last week. At Grandpa's funeral visitation, not a single person that we know from church (friend or acquaintance) came to visit or to see us. I felt like my parents were totally shocked and disappointed that we are so committed to something that isn't really committed to us. I'm really starting to rethink my priorities regarding where we attend church and how we want our family to grow up."

First, for Scott to say something like this is very heavy.

Second, I have to say that I agree with him more than I ever thought I would.

The people who surrounded Scott's family during their time of loss was their church. That's who they consider their family. It's their "Home Church." It's made up of people who cried with them at the funeral home, recalled good memories, and who supported them beyond belief during their grief. It's people who came together to bring food that sustained all of us (his whole immediate family...around 30 of us) for a week. It's these same people that Scott's family will do the same thing for when they experience loss.

At his family's home church, you are missed if you're not there. You are loved like part of the family.

Our priority of attending church where we do is to learn from such a wonderful teacher. But what about beyond that? What priorities are Ella Beth and Landon missing out on?

Of course, I do work for my church; I support everything that they do, and we are involved.

Just thinking.



2 comments:

Megan said...

This is definitely something that is worth thinking and considering and praying over. I have to say, it is something that we have struggled with lately - with a different situation, but the same struggle. Ya know what? I think I'll email you. :)

Ally said...

Yep, know what you mean. My church in TN was like that...they knew you and loved you so well. When my grandpa died, they brought tons of stuff to my grandmother's house and cooked. When I had surgery, same thing. I miss them so much. There's also so much to love at our church, but I miss the personalized attention. Outside of our small group, we were on our own when Peyton was born...my home church did a huge shower and dinner for us...they would have done the same if I still lived there when he was born.