Saturday, July 9, 2011

Martha, Martha, Martha

Luke 10:38-42 "As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Martha had good intentions. She had the most honorable guest in her home, and she wanted to make things perfect. She wanted her home to be worthy of Jesus' presence. Cleanliness is next to godliness, right? Her focus was on preparing, organizing, and perfecting everything for the evening that welcomed His Presence into her home. She wanted Him to sit in the best seat, to eat the best meal, to have clean napkins, to use a clean bathroom. She had to be busy to make sure He was satisfied.

I am so much like Martha.

I busy myself daily on things that seem important, but I often neglect the most important. I prayed so long for the opportunity to be at home full time with Ella Beth and Landon. Sacrifices have been made (are still being made) to make this happen. But I often spend my days being busy instead of just being with them.

Now, my children aren't as honored guests in our home as Jesus would be, but they are still very honorable. And the time I have with them is fleeting. We have all heard grandparents say, "Enjoy them now because they grow up so fast." I hear that, and I believe that I need to enjoy them, but I allow myself to get caught up in the "doing.

I know this story in the Bible is related to how we should prioritize our relationship with Jesus above all else, but I can only imagine the mother that Mary would have been. "Mary was so desirous to hear the words of The Lord that she was unconcerned about the situation around her. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to assist her sister in the preparing of the meal, but for her it was that she found to sit and hear the words of The Lord MORE important than busying herself about in the handling of one task after the other." Khandielse

When I compare the priorities of these two sisters - both who had good intentions - I see that one had greater intentions. Mary wanted more to enjoy the moment; to cherish time that she knew she could not get back. She didn't want to miss out on the gifts that Jesus was giving her. 

And that's what my children are: gifts.

I feel at times that I can actually hear Jesus whispering to me, "Amber, Amber, you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one." My personal relationship with Him is important, but teaching my children about Jesus is equally important. Jesus loves the little children. They are so important to God's heart. The fields are ripe for harvest. Children who are taught about Jesus from an early age, will easily accept Him into their hearts. I don't know about you, but my children learn best from example

I so easily slip into Martha's shoes...my intentions are good, but what example am I ultimately setting? Is cleaning the kitchen for the second time in a day more important than sitting in the floor doing puzzles? Is folding laundry more important than holding my waking children for five extra minutes in the morning? Is cleaning the bathroom more important than sharing the Truths of God's love through reading their Bible together? 

A clean kitchen, folded laundry, a clean bathroom - all are good. But what is better

My challenge to myself over the next week is to be fully present right where I am. If it's during my quiet time with the Lord, let me be all there. If it is sitting in peace and quiet reflection, let me be all there. And if it is with my children, let me be all there. Let them sense my full presence. And most importantly, let them sense the love of Jesus flowing from my heart straight to theirs. Let them know that I value them as the precious gifts that they are, that they are worth letting other things go. Because it really is true, time goes by so fast and I must make the most of every precious opportunity. 

Mary understood this. And I pray that my heart will, too. 

No comments: