Saturday, December 6, 2008

Unwelcomed drama

Yesterday afternoon, December 5, 2008, around 4:50 p.m. Ella Beth had an accident.  A severe accident.  She had just tee-teed on the potty.  She was calling me in there so that she could wash her hands.  However, in the 5 seconds that it took me to get there Ella Beth decided to climb on top of the toilet and try to climb over to the bathroom counter.  She didn't make it.  I was there just in time to pick her up immediately, but I couldn't reach her before  Ella Beth landed on our ceramic trash can - which shattered and cut her forehead open. 

Blood galore.  Blood everywhere. 

Scott got Ella Beth and put towels on her head.  I called Scott's parents...this is the exact conversation: "Cleve, I need you to come here NOW.  We have to take Ella Beth to the emergency room.  We are leaving Landon in his crib."  He said, OK, and I hung up.

Now, they got there right before we left so we didn't end up leaving Landon alone...but I think we would have.  I'm talking blood everywhere. 

I had to work on keeping Ella Beth awake on the drive to Scottish Rite, but we arrived within 25 minutes.  They took us promptly back.  Now, she had calmed down pretty well on the ride there, but once she found out that the nurses and doctors were going to have to take off the towels and look at her head, she lost it.  I'm talking screaming uncontrollably!  They took one look and immediately said, "That's going to need stitches."  We figured, but had hoped for a good cleaning and a butterfly.

Once they cleaned it, we could all see bone.  Nice.  They put some numbing cream on her head, and then they gave her a sedative to help relax her a bit.  We had to put her in a straight jacket...literally...and the doctor stitched her up.  4 stitches total.  We were told that she will probably have a scar, but that is fine with us.  We were just so relieved that she didn't end up having a concussion.  Thankfully, the scar is horizontal so one day it will blend in with a wrinkle. ;)  Hopefully, with Mederma and vitamin E, it won't be too noticeable; but like I said, we're thankful for a scar and nothing worse!

Here are a few pictures:

DSC_0002
   DSC_0003

DSC_0009

DSC_0011

Unfortunately, Ella Beth's boo-boo has not slowed her down any which has kept me stressed out and on edge all day.  I have repeatedly freaked out when I could just see another accident waiting to happen.  I'm praying that she makes it through this recovery without re-injuring her head.  We have to go back to Scottish Rite Wed/Thursday for her stitches to be removed.  I honestly don't know if I'll be able to handle that.  You can pray for me, too!



8 comments:

JJ said...

oh my goodness...poor thing and poor mommy and daddy-i can't imagine. that is just the scariest thing, but i'm glad that she is ok. on a side note, i can't believe how long her hair is getting-it's so pretty and i love the earrings:) she looks so cute!

megan said...

oh, wow. i was wondering what you meant by your unwelcomed drama comment on my site..now i see. poor Ella Beth! wow, made me a little queasy just reading about it. i hope she (and Mama!) heal nicely. :)

Rachael Walkup said...

oh my goodness! i'm glad it was only 4 stiches, praise God she is ok :) I will be praying for you and her!

Angie said...

Now she gets to wear her pretty bandaids for a reason!

Ally Heck said...

I know it's hard...Peyton's first bad booboo had me in tears and just going for a routine dr's visit when he's upset is hard. I'll be praying for you that the visit will go quickly and without too much drama.

Laura said...

Wow! What an experience. We had to take Jace once (fell against the corner of a wall). It was all TOO much so I will be praying for you guys and that your precious girl will heal quickly!

Elizabeth McFarland said...

so sorry about Ella Beth's accident, she looks so sweet in her pics and I couldn't imagine how scared she must have been, cute bandaid though!

Karin said...

Oh Amber, how scary! So glad you all hung in there and got to the emergency room so quickly. Will be praying for a quick recovery. Miss you, Love Karin