Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The beginning of a new season

Or at least the beginning of a new month!  Goodbye, September.  Hello, October!!!

So...throughout the last month I had to make an extremely difficult decision.  It's one that I went back and forth on at least five different times.  It's one that was very emotional for me.  It's one that I have now accepted, and I have chosen to move forward with no regrets.

I am no longer nursing Landon. 

Wow, just reading those words brings up a few emotions.  Sigh. 

There were many different factors involved in my decision, but the top two were: 1) anesthesia and pain killers really do eliminate a mommy's milk supply; 2) Landon's reflux / milk protein allergy is very severe.  After my emergency surgery, nursing was not only painful, but it wasn't all that productive - leaving me with a very hungry and fussy little boy.  We started him on soy formula to supplement, but it turns out that Landon is allergic to soy.  Oh my word.  We went through 4 different times of formula until we found the correct (and very expensive) type that would work for his sensitive system.  Well, once he started getting full and satisfied with the formula, he did not want to nurse for full feedings any longer. 

I kept going back and forth between the decision to jack up my supply or let it go.  It was hard doing that.  I had to really sit down and work through the "issues" that I had with bottle feeding.  Of course, my biggest issue was that Ella Beth never had formula; it didn't seem fair that Landon should.  But, after really praying about it, I honestly know that I have made the best decision for Landon and me.  (That's despite the fact that I loathe washing bottles over and over!)

On another feeding note, Landon has finally, finally, finally started eating baby food!  Hooray!!!  I can't tell you how long it has taken us, but now we are enjoying watching him eat.  Right now he's enjoying oatmeal cereal, sweet potatoes, and applesauce. 

Well, Landon turned 7 months last week.  He's getting so big.  Moving around everywhere, sitting up and playing, saying "Mama" over and over (love it!), and laughing at himself all of the time.  Well, laughing at himself and his big sister.  She gets a kick out of making him laugh, too!  Having two this close is still difficult, but I can honestly say that if I had to do it again this is the way I'd do it.  They are about to enter into the stage of friendship, and I can't wait!!!

OK, so here are some cute pics I took of Landon to capture his 7th month. 

DSC_0052_2
DSC_0059

Wardrobe change!
DSC_0127

And, just one naked shot.  My boy loves his birthday suit!
DSC_0086

Here are a couple of pics that we took of Ella Beth in a field of sunflowers.  These sunflowers are amazing.  There are thousands of them in 7 separate fields that are close to my mom in Hartwell.  Nothing like God's beautiful creation to make life shine!

DSC_0023
DSC_0028
DSC_0008
DSC_0047

And this last picture causes my heart to skip.  Where has my baby girl gone?  Is there a pause button anywhere that I can press for just a little while?  I am once again reminded that I need to cherish every day with my babies.
DSC_0029



3 comments:

Angie said...

That would be a hard decision! Love all the pictures.

Ashley said...

Hooray for booby freedom! I know this was difficult for you, but I'm so happy you have found peace in the decision. We would always stop at those fields too! They are beautiful. Look at little Landon - he has grown so much. What beautiful children you have.

JJ said...

You're pics are beautiful, as always (not to mention the babies are getting more beautiful every time i see them:)) i'm glad you are at peace with your decision, i know that must have been tough, but like ashley said-hooray for booby freedom:) haha! things in alabama are going great-i finally started my own blog to keep everyone updated! take careand tell scott hi for us:)